[oe] bitbake virtual/kernel -c menuconfig

Chuck Kamas ckamas at finesse.com
Tue Jun 2 14:43:07 UTC 2009

> > export DISPLAY=0.0 such that menuconfig gets it?
>
> I'd have thought you would be able to put it in the
> environment, but failing that local.conf should work.

I'll give this a try.

> > Also I noticed that the patch files are being applied before
> > menuconfig in Angstrom but not in minimal and micro.  How
> do I fix this?
>
> That's a bit odd.  Which particular kernel are you trying to build?

The kernel is 2.6.28 and the patches are the AT91 set.   What is
interesting is that I change nothing but the distro= line and the
menuconfig works with the patches applied.  I do know that there is a
lot hidden behind the distro= line,  that is why I am asking the experts
for their insight into how it all works and where to look for what is
going wrong.

Regarding Angstrom:  I have no animosity against it. I am simply
following the rule: "start with the bare metal and build up".  This is
allowing me to learn how OE works and be a contributing member of the
community.  I could have gone the other way, but I find a great number
of options confusing.  It is just a preference thing.  I choose "small"
in both the sense of options and image size.

Chuck