[oe] busybox & syslog init script

Michael Smith msmith at cbnco.com
Wed Jun 3 01:27:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

Currently busybox deb upgrades break (at least with Busybox dpkg): the
prerm script returns failure because the last command executed is
"/etc/init.d/syslog stop", and by then the /bin/sh link has been removed
so the #!/bin/sh line fails to find the interpreter. (Even if it could,
the start-stop-daemon link would be gone, too.)

busybox inherits update-rc.d, and updatercd_prerm() is always appended
onto the end of the prerm; I don't know of a way to make it prepend
instead. So I figure there are two ways to fix it:

1) split the syslog initscript into busybox-syslog, as is already done for
busybox-httpd and busybox-udhcpd;
2) or, manually handle the stuff the update-rc.d class would normally take
care of for busybox, so the syslog initscript stays in the busybox
package.

I'd prefer #1, but I don't think I could ever track down all the in-tree
and out-of-tree images that depend on busybox, and add "busybox-syslog" to
all of them. I guess I'll try #2. Just checking if someone has a better
idea.

Thanks,
Mike