[oe] populate_staging history question

Michael Morrell Michael.Morrell at palm.com
Sat Jun 6 06:12:37 UTC 2009

I have a question about the history of when populate_staging gets run.  A long time ago, it was run after package_write, but in August of 2007, Richard changed it in Poky to be runnable after compile, then shortly thereafter changed it to be runnable after install (there's a note about conflicts between install and populate_staging).  This change was ported to OE in September 2007.

Can someone explain what the conflict was? -- it seems that install and populate_staging should be able to be run at the same time.

Also, why is the build task scheduled to be after populate_staging?  Since package_write is the final task, I expected build to be after that task.

Thanks,

  Michael