[oe] ep93xx, ts72xx, gesbc-9302 and more (was Re: Angstrom, ep93xx, broken rootfs)

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Mon Jun 8 14:00:42 UTC 2009

Dnia niedziela, 22 lutego 2009 o 22:43:34 Christian Gagneraud
napisał(a):

> I would like to highlight an "issue" to oe developpers: The machine
> name "ep93xx" is completely misleading, because it refers to a CPU
> name not a board/machine name, the conf/machine/ep93xx.conf file says
> that this is for the "Cirrus Logic EP-93xx Development Platform",
> which is the vendor development board for the EP-93xx CPU, so the
> name should be something like "ep93xxevb" or "devkit-ep93xx", or
> whatever saying it refers to a dev board not to all EP-93xx based
> machine.

I use EDB9301 here. 2.6.29 kernel from OE should works on all EDB93xx
boards made by Cirrus Logic (I enabled their support).

> As well, there is a conf/machine/include/tune-ep9312.inc which is not
> used by any machine conf file, does anyone know why?
> That's  a pity because this serie of CPU (EP93xx) has FP support
> support through maverick crunch. Which is supported by linux and
> gcc4, and this is exactly the purpose of this tune-ep9312.inc file (i
> did not test it yet, see below).

As you noted in next email the problem is with toolchain. The good thing
is that Martin Guy and Hasjim Williams got it sorted. I merged their
work recently into OpenEmbedded. By default "ep93xx" machine do not use
it because cpu cycles are then wasted in context switches and there is
no big speedup in normal applications (those which use heavy FP can be
compiled for Maverick optimisations).

> I'm currently working with a TS-7260 and a TS-7800 boards.

> Later on, i would like to experiment with maverick crunch, to check
> if it is usable and really brings noticable FP performance. If so,
> then: - rename the conf/machine/include/tune-ep9312.inc to
> conf/machine/include/tune-ep93xx.inc
> - make the machine conf files use tune-ep93xx.inc instead of
> tune-arm920t.inc

tune-ep3912 is named like this because -march=ep3912 which it uses.
Please update to recent OE and test MaverickCrunch on your board.

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinjuszkiewicz