[oe] lib*.so in FILES_${PN}

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Sat Jun 13 20:19:38 UTC 2009

This recent checkin:

http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi?url=openembedded/commit/&id=ba434bd1dc9dc8ed61953a1579ea9e993e81cbb2

added ${base_libdir}/lib*.so to the default FILES_${PN}, on the grounds
that this is necessary to get procps packaged correctly.

However, I think this cure is worse than the original disease, in that
it's now virtually impossible to prevent *.so development symlinks
(which obviously belong in ${PN}-dev) from leaking into ${PN}.  This
situation is particularly bad if ${base_libdir} and ${libdir} are the
same, since you then end up with a useless .so symlink being installed
in your rootfs for virtually every library on the system.

I propose to revert the patch in question, and instead just let
procps.bb adjust its own local setting of FILES as necessary.

Comments?

p.