[oe] Help required to create recipe for FANN library

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Mon Jun 15 18:53:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 14:41 -0400, Philip Balister wrote:
> Phil Blundell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 21:34 +0400, Elvis Dowson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> 	When building the FANN library, I get the following message:
> >>
> >> NOTE: Multiple libraries (libfann.so.2, libdoublefann.so.2,
> >> libfixedfann.so.2, libfloatfann.so.2) found and LEAD_SONAME not defined
> >>
> >> What is the use of the LEAD_SONAME?
> >
> > You should probably ignore LEAD_SONAME; this mechanism seemed like a
> > good idea at the time but with hindsight it was not such a clever plan.
> > The right way to fix this warning is to put each of the libraries in its
> > own output package.
>
> Do you have a hint on how to do that? I've had the same question.

Right now, I think the only way is to do it by steam, something like:

PACKAGES =+ "libfann libdoublefann libfixedfann libfloatfann"
FILES_libfann = "${libdir}/libfann${SOLIBS}"
FILES_libdoublefan = "${libdir}/libdoublefan${SOLIBS}"

You can leave the -dev bits alone, it doesn't really hurt for them to go
into one big package.

Obviously there's some scope for automating this a bit: it'd be nice to
be able to just say

PACKAGE_SHLIBS = "libfann libdoublefann libfixedfann libfloatfann"

and have the other stuff be generated automatically.  That'd probably be
a fairly straightforward patch to package.bbclass if someone wanted to
have a go.

p.