[oe] Patch for libfann-2.0.0 recipe

Tom Rini trini at embeddedalley.com
Thu Jun 18 23:05:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:24:29PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 18-06-09 20:11, Philip Balister wrote:
>> Koen Kooi wrote:

>>> That's nonsense. Not setting PR = "r0" in recipes makes maintenance a
>>> lot easier, e.g. forcing rebuild or all xorg libs. If every recipe was
>>> already using INC_PR, I might agree with you, but since that isn't the
>>> case adding PR = "r0" is creating more work.
>>
>> Can you explain this a little clearer? I know a number of people on the
>> list feel like Otavio and it would be really helpful for people to
>> understand what the downside is to starting with PR = "r0" instead of
>> leaving it out.
>
> Suppose you want to bump PR on every xorg lib recipe, do you want to
> edit 70 recipes or do you only want to edit 1 .inc file and 3 recipes?
> If you're in the 'edit 70 recipes' crowd, add PR = "r0" to all recipes
> in OE. If not, leave it out, bitbake defaults to it anyway.
> Also, does anyone remember how much pain we had when adding ${PN}-dbg
> into the default PACKAGES only to discover that lots of recipes were
> needlessly copying defaults?

But there's no .inc file here.  How about saying:
- Adding an .inc file MUST switch all the recipes now using it to INC_PR
- If you're modifying recipes that really should be INC_PR, make them
  INC_PR while you're in there (the 70 xorg lib recipes not using INC_PR
  today for example).
- New recipes that also create a .inc must set INC_PR = "r0" / PR =
  "${INC_PR}.0"
- New recipes that are just a single .bb must set PR = "r0"

The arguement against "leave it out, bitbake defaults to it anyway." is
that "once you make a change it's easier to forget to bump PR/INC_PR if
it's not staring you in the face".

--
Tom Rini