[oe] bitbake virtual/kernel fails for davinci

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 19:14:30 UTC 2009

2009/6/30 Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org>:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 01:44:43PM +0200, Bj??rn Forsman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a bit new to OpenEmbedded, but have successfully built angstrom
>> for davinci and qemu in the past. Today I tried to "bitbake
>> virtual/kernel" for a davinci (dm6446) system. The build fails during
>> unpack of linux-davinci kernel because git cannot find a given object
>> hash (see output below). Has anybody else experienced this? How come
>> OE references a non-existent git object?
>>
>> The non-existent git object hash is specified in
>> "recipes/linux/linux-davinci_git.bb" and was lastly modified by commit
>> 160616d5f2a57ba828ed5ec06e37fc1cd4713af7.
>
> Since then linux-davinci tree was updated to 2.6.30 final and more
> specifically, staging/vpfe branch was rebased from v2 to v3 vpfe patches.
> Unfortunately, rebase rewrites the history and changes commit numbers, hence
> the old commit cannot be found any more...

Ok. Thanks for explaining.

> I'll update the recipe with the latest state of the linux-davinci tree. But,
> it may brake in the future again, as this is a moving target. If you want
> something, which does not break that often, I'd suggest you don't use the
> "git" version of the recipe - try setting PREFFERED_PROVIDER/VERSION for
> 2.6.28 or 2.6.29...

Ok. I'll try setting PREFERRED_PROVIDER/VERSION next thing tomorrow.

BTW, the currently missing git object was specified as a SHA1 hash in
a variable called SRCREV. Could this variable be used for specifying
git objects in other formats? For example "staging/vpfe" or "HEAD"? Or
is it unwise to have recipes which uses "floating" revisions?

Regards,
Bjørn Forsman