[oe] sysvinit runlevels

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Tue Mar 3 04:38:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 03:15:46PM -0600, E Robertson wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm building a busybox based distro using busybox init. I notice sysvinit run
> levels unexpectedly showed up my rootfs. Is this normally what it does and I
> need to explicitly remove them?

AFAIK, runlevels are coming with initscripts package, not sysvinit - you can
overwrite that with IMAGE_INITSCRIPTS variable. But then you'd have to manage
startup scripts yourself, as many recipes hook into update-rc.d through
INITSCRIPT_PARAMS.

> Also, I couldn't find the "?=" operation in the bitbake manual so I assumed it
> a condition statement and is overridden of the variable is defined, it this
> true?

Theodore A. Roth is kind enough to help with the documentation. Earlier today
he sent the patch to the bitbake mailing list with the following text:

Setting a default value (?=)
A ?= "aval"
If A is set before the above is called, it will retain it's
previous value. If A is unset prior to the above call, A will be
set to aval.

--
Denys