[oe] [oe-commits] Koen Kooi : angstrom 2009.X: bump automake-native to 1.10. 2 since some idiot deleted 1.10

Martyn Welch martyn.welch at gefanuc.com
Wed Mar 4 09:59:51 UTC 2009

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 03.03.2009, 17:38 -0500 schrieb Philip Balister:
>> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

>>> Ah, are we in that mood again? Take more pills.
>> We need to have a serious discussion about deleting recipes. I know the
>> deletion of python 2.5 will force me to address the 2.5->2.6 upgrade in
>> gnuradio before the upstream developers are ready.
>>
>> We need a way to remove recipes, but doing it as part of adding a new
>> recipe is causing problems for OE users.
>
> Yes, we need to have a serious discussion about lots of things
> surrounding the OpenEmbedded project, before the popularity kills the
> project. Judging from the amount of interest though, I don't see that
> happening -- neither short term nor long term.

Ok, so if a serious discussion is out of the question, lets just have a normal discussion.

I see this issue to be partially related to the on going discussions regarding submissions. I assume that the "Commit_Policy"[1] on the wiki is either unofficial, out-of-date or optional as it states:

* Changes to core toolchain components need review (gcc, binutils,
   libtool, pkgconfig, automake, autoconf etc.)

Where:

"Review" is defined as posting it on the mailing lists and getting positive agreement from two or more core developers.

Now a quick check of my OpenEmbedded mail folder doesn't chuck up any messages with automake in the title that have a patch with this commit. Maybe I'm looking on the wrong mailing list.

Given that the commit policy does seem to be quite a sensible suggestion (it's part of the mechanism that seems to work quit well for the Linux kernel), maybe it needs a little bit of work to qualify it a little (which mailing list for example) and get some more links to it (for example there is no mention of a commit policy in the "adding packages"[2] section of the "Getting started guide".

If nobody objects, I will happily add the link.

Martyn

[1] http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Commit_Policy
[2] http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Getting_started#Adding_Packages

--
Martyn Welch MEng MPhil MIET (Principal Software Engineer)   T:+44(0)1327322748
GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms Ltd,        |Registered in England and Wales