[oe] [RFH] Support for automatic package versining using git describe

Mario Domenech Goulart mario at ossystems.com.br
Wed Mar 4 18:34:57 UTC 2009

Hi

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:32:21 -0200 Otavio Salvador <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> One of nice features we've been using is the git-describe to get
> versions based on tags; many projects are using it to name the
> development releases and it does give a better view of how diverged it
> from last released version.
>
> So we're looking for a way to use it to generate the PV based on
> that. The current git fetcher already has the required support to get
> tags, so we can use it as SRCREV, but not yet to use git-describe.

Attached is an attempt to implement this idea.  One could use
bb.fetch.describe_revision for, say, AUTOPV generation, like
bb.fetch.get_srcrev is used for AUTOREV.

Example (from bitbake.conf):

  AUTOREV = "${@bb.fetch.get_srcrev(d)}"
  AUTOPV = "${@bb.fetch.describe_revision(d)}"

It would be nice if somebody could review the attached patch, since I
don't know much about bitbake internals.

P.S.: sorry if this message is messing up threading in your email client.
I'm replying to a fake original message, since I don't have the original
one.

Best wishes.
Mario