[oe] do_patch fails if path starts with ./

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 08:30:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

When generating my (normally small) patches I typically do a cp file
file.orig in the work dir, then change file and at the end do a diff
-urN path/file.oirg path/file >file.patch
no probllems with that (although if there are recommendations to do
things simpler/better, I'm of course open to suggestions).

However yesterday I copied and pasted filenames and ended up with
diff -urN ./path/file.orig ./path/file >file.patch
of course then in file.patch the filenames starts with ./
when that happens do_patch does not find the file.(probably because it
thinks there is an additional directory because it does not see that
./ is actually the same dir)

is this a bug in our build system? or in patch?
or should I just avoid using ./ if I create a patch?

btw: I alredy tried diff -Nurd (so an additional d flag) but that did
not make a difference).

Frans.