[oe] PARALLEL_MAKE

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Fri Mar 13 12:47:11 UTC 2009

Dnia piątek, 13 marca 2009 o 00:32:16 Ulf Samuelsson napisał(a):

> Is there any activity to make this more useful?
> Just managed to install a Core i7 machine, which speeded
> up my Buildroot build from about 4 hours to less than 1 hour.
> (There was an error in the build right at the end,
> so it could have been downto 40 minutes or so)
> Building the cross compiler took 10 minutes with "make -j 16"
> compared to 1-2 hours on a P4 @ 3GHz.

I use core2quad at home and dual quadcore Xeon at one client office.
Both are 100% busy during my builds. On my quad I use
PARALLEL_MAKE="-j4" with 4 BB threads and on 8core I have 10 BBthreads
with -j12 but thats for nightly builds when no one other use this
machine. Using ccache also speeds next compilations.

> Last time I built OE on a P4@ 3 GHz it took ~40 hours
> for the SAM9263, so some speedup would be nice.
> Maybe we should make an effort?

You mean 'time bitbake console-image'? I can test on my local machine
how much time it takes.

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/