[oe] RFC: extension of policy on removing recipes

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Sat Mar 21 03:10:53 UTC 2009

Robert Schuster wrote:
> Hi,
> the latest removal of the automake-native version just hit me today (I
> am not building chinook-compat regularly and I am basically the only
> person building it at all).

You're not at all alone on this.  It clobbered SlugOS as well.

The issue is that the autobuilders all built automake a looooooong time
ago, and until someone tries a build from an empty TMPDIR, this problem
won't be discovered.  There may be a few more folks who have yet to
discover that their builds will fail!

> What I found surprising is, that automake 1.10 was deleted although it
> was explicitly stated as PREFERRED_VERSION in the chinook-compat.conf. I
> was under the impression that we already discussed that if you remove
> something that is obviously being used, that patch is posted for RFC first.

Yep, agree.

Mike (mwester)