[oe] RFC: rework llvm recipes

Robert Schuster thebohemian at gmx.net
Wed Mar 25 12:52:04 UTC 2009

Hi,
LLVM does not support upward and downwards compatibility. As such I
would like to rework the llvm recipes to be installed separately.

Hence llvm is rather complicated to build I would like to drop all
version below 2.4. Is that OK?

I would also like to drop 2.4 because it is the last one that uses a
autoconf-based build system. 2.5 introduces one that is based on cmake
and which causes much less grief. :|

llvm_2.4 (if someone is against dropping) will become llvm2.4_2.4.bb
llvm_2.5 will become llvm2.5_2.5.bb. The same goes for the native variants.

For the llvm-config file I will introduce a wrapper that expects the
variable LLVM_VERSION being set and then calls llvm-config-$LLVM_VERSION.

Recipes using llvm or llvm-native should set this variable correctly.

Please post something about this proposal otherwise I will start it soon
and push it in roughly a week.

Regards
Robert