[oe] Bugzilla Status (pitiful, penoso, penible, bedauerlich)

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Mar 27 17:46:28 UTC 2009

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> On Friday 27 March 2009 15:19:39 Cliff Brake wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
>>
>> <mickey at vanille-media.de> wrote:
>>> -1000. Lets continue cleaning it up.
>> Building on Chris's push for package maintainers -- perhaps we need to
>> insist on style guidelines for bugs as well where we prefix the bug
>> title with the component name (like repo commits), or create separate
>> components for every directory in recipes, machines, and perhaps a
>> catch-all for core files.  Then the maintainer for the component could
>> decide if the bug is valid, and close it if not.  If bugs collect for
>> a component, and nothing gets done, then we need to search for a
>> maintainer, or mark the recipe unmaintained.  I guess the difficult
>> part is all this needs active management.  Somehow if we can get bugs
>> assigned to the right people (listed in the maintainers file), then
>> maybe it would work better.
>
> Good thinking. I actually love the GNOME folks bugzilla interface. They run
> you through a set of questions / choices. That way it takes a bit longer to
> create a bug but it's more structured.

Bugzilla came up in the IRC stable branch meeting. Basically, who is the
audience for the OE bugzilla? Distro users? Distro's should really set
up their own bug reporting system.

I'm not sure what the real answer is here, but we should put some effort
into deciding who the intended users of bugzilla are, and make sure we
meet their needs.

Philip