[oe] OE presentations

Robert Schuster theBohemian at gmx.net
Tue Mar 31 22:46:54 UTC 2009

Hi Alessandro,

Alessandro GARDICH schrieb:
> Hi all
>
> this is a presentation I did about Linux Embedded and OpenEmbedded in
> Italian for Linux Day (in Italy) in 2007.
>
> http://www.gremlin.it/download/index.php?dir=&file=LinuxDay2007%20-%20GNU%20Linux%20Embedded.pdf
This link provokes some anti-leech thingie ... disturbing .. :$

Anyway. I don't understand itialian but your slides look like you argue
that an embedded system has certain system parameters like RAM, storage,
CPU speeds that are much lower to what you expect from a desktop
machine. While this may be true for some time you are always risking
that next years' technology catches up with your assumptions very quickly.

Just think about the Sheeva CPU which supports clockspeed up to 1.2GHz,
or the OMAP4 which will comes with 2 CPU cores.

A better way to argue is IMO the great integration an embedded system
provides. The chip that makes up the system often contains various
controllers for e.g. ethernet, wireless, sound, lcd, bluetooth, ...
Often there is also a graphics core and a DSP added.

And while having all these shiny stuff in they consume a fraction of the
power a desktop CPU does.

That is at least the way I would introduce people to the embedded world. :)

Regards
Robert