[oe] Pull request from DoréDevelopment - New: Micro distro/image

Martin Lund mgl at doredevelopment.dk
Fri May 1 13:54:34 UTC 2009

Philip Balister wrote:
> Martin Lund wrote:
>> Hello OE dev,
>>
>> Please pull the changes from the following repository:
>>
>> git pull git://dev.doredevelopment.dk/oe-micro.git master
>>
>> This oe-micro repository adds the following files to current dev:
>>
>> conf/distro/micro-uclibc.conf |   43 +++++++++++++++++
>> conf/distro/micro.conf        |  100
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> recipes/images/micro-image.bb |   34 ++++++++++++++
>> 3 files changed, 177 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
>>
>> There should be no conflicts with the current OE dev branch.
>>
>> These files constitute a new distribution named "Micro" and a
>> corresponding buildable image target: micro-image
>
> Why can't we make the needed changes to the minimal distro? I'd hate
> to see us have minimal and really-minimal distros, when they are
> trying to do the same thing.

Yes - the two distro definitions are closely related.

The main goal of micro is to be able to build a _very_ tiny rootfs. A
secondary goal is to do this with as little distro/image definition as
possible - why make it complex if you can do it simple.

The downside of having one distro to build it all is that the distro
configuration becomes fairly complex - and as we know complex includes
more maintenance and configuration becomes difficult to read/customize
for non OE maintainers.

Of course introducing too many distros is a bad idea but I do think we
need a few good _generic_ distro choices to choose from - currently I
dont see that.

I would like something small (micro), medium (mini), big (...), huge
(angstrom) to choose from in terms of supported generic OE distro
definitions. Actually, I would love to help out doing these generic
distro choices - provided that they are kept clean and sane. Consider
micro the first contribution in this direction.

Today I feel that OE users are kind of left behind if they do not choose
Angstrom distro. For developers like me Angstrom is no option because I
dont want everything-but-the-kitchen-sink - I want tiny!

> What changes did you make to minimal.conf to to get to micro.conf?
> I'll admit to not looking closely at the insides of the distro files,
> but I want to learn more.

Please make a quick diff and have a look  ;)
> I'm also curious what happens if you build the micro-image against
> Angstrom.

Sorry, I never tried that and never intended to do so. You will most
likely end up with a different image or the build might break.