[oe] Pull request from DoréDevelopment - New: Micro distro/image

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Mon May 4 07:52:08 UTC 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009 14:21:35 Martin Lund wrote:
> The "Micro" distribution/image is created because we feel that
> there is a need for a truly tiny and clean distro and image
> definition in OE for those users out there that needs a _very_
> tiny Linux rootfs with virtually nothing installed except
> busybox, libc, udev, and a few init scripts. On arm the jffs2
> image size is only 1 MB (uclibc based). No bloat allowed.

Isn't "udev" already bloat?  I have made something similar for a
custom board, but there I used "mdev" from Busybox.

My whole avr32 image is just about 3 MB, and that includes a
rather hefty libQtCore.so.4.5.0 with 1.1 MB.

As a side note, I also use busybox' init instead of sysvinit. And
because my board is so tiny and has a very custom role to
fulfill, I don't even have /etc/rcX.d, except /etc/rcS.d which I
renamed to /etc/startup.d to avoid confusion.