[oe] progress on OE organization issues

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Fri May 15 17:56:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 08:08 -0400, Philip Balister wrote:
> My number one concern is that we not create multiple membership groups
> and committees. There is no sense creating groups independent of the eV.

I guess my problem with this point of view is that I haven't ever really
seen a clear roadmap or timeline for getting the e.V. "deployed" in
practice, nor a definitive statement of what exactly the e.V.'s mission
will be once it is up and running.  (In particular there seems to be
some unclarity about whether the e.V. is intended as purely an
administrative vehicle for managing funds, organising servers and the
like, or whether it is to be more of a general project governance
organisation.)  So it seems like we might be waiting a long time, only
to discover in the end that, when the e.V. is up and running, it doesn't
actually help us with solving the problems at hand and we are no better
off than if we'd just acted straight away.

Presumably the existing core team must have some kind of vision for the
exact role that the e.V. would play in this new world, and how we get
there from here, but I've never seen it articulated anywhere.  Can you
shed any light on that?

p.