[oe] [oe-commits] Roman I Khimov : (e)glibc-package: fix kernel version passed to qemu

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Mon May 18 14:40:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 18:12 +0400, Roman I Khimov wrote:
> If any target device requires kernel version not less then $SMTH, it must set
> it via OLDEST_KERNEL, isn't it?

No, this has never previously been a constraint.  ${OLDEST_KERNEL}
exists as a hint to say "there is no need to include support for kernels
older than this one", but it doesn't necessarily work the other way
around: there is no guarantee that ${OLDEST_KERNEL} is actually a
sufficient version for correct operation.

If OLDEST_KERNEL were to be interpreted more widely, as you propose, it
would not make much sense to have a global default of 2.4.0 since there
are all kinds of targets that won't run with such an old version.

p.