[oe] [oe-commits] Roman I Khimov : (e) glibc-package: fix kernel version passed to qemu

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Mon May 18 18:54:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 22:42 +0400, Roman I Khimov wrote:
> Now, I think that this should be fixed on target level. OLDEST_KERNEL should
> be something sane. Global 2.4.0 from bitbake.conf is good enough for most
> targets, but if we know that none of ARM EABI works with kernel versions prior
> to 2.6.14, we should set OLDEST_KERNEL to 2.6.14 for that targets. Or higher,
> of course, if target needs/wants that. If that's OK with all, I'm doing a
> patch.

I'm still not convinced this is either practical or desirable.  The
kernel versions you mentioned are the minimum required for the
particular version of glibc you were looking at, but different libcs or
different versions of the same libc will have different minimum kernel
requirements even for the same target.  (As an obvious example, the m68k
port has been supported in glibc since its inception and clearly didn't
require a 2.6.18 kernel to start with.)

I think it would be better to leave the semantics of OLDEST_KERNEL alone
and just teach qemu to use either the same __LINUX_KERNEL_VERSION as
glibc's configure script has settled on, or (perhaps better) just the
newest version that it supports for the given target.

p.