[oe] [RFC] renaming packages/ to recipes/

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Tue May 19 12:19:08 UTC 2009

2009/5/18 Rolf Leggewie <no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de>:
> Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>>
>> My addition to this:
>>
>> mkdir recipes-broken
>> git add  recipes-broken
>> git mv recipes/obsolete recipes-broken/obsolete
>> git mv recipes/nonworking recipes-broken/nonworking
>>
>> As this will allow users to set:
>>
>> BBFILES = "/somewhere/oe/recipes/"
>>
>> which is supported by BitBake for years.
>
> I'd like to revisit this suggestion from Marcin which came up during the
> discussion of the packages->recipes renaming.  I think the above makes sense
> and should be committed.  I think it would be nice if the folder was named
> broken-recipes instead of recipes-broken.  First of all, it sounds nicer
> IMHO ;-) but more importantly, this works better with bash-completion.
>
> Reopening discussion for this change.

I think adding recipes-broken (or broken-recipes) is a bad idea.
It is quite possible that a recipe is broken only for some platforms
(e.g. because they use an older libc or gcc, or because functionality
is not working in the machine specific parts.
In that case I can image we end up in a recipe being shifted around.
Not really a good plan.
Unless of course we end up with some good rules on when a recipe
should be moved to broken.

If I look at tinderbox I see various recipes that do not build for
some archtectures or configurations.

Just my two cents

Frans