[oe] glibc-dbg used by anyone?

Martin Dietze di at fh-wedel.de
Sat May 23 09:54:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009, Phil Blundell wrote:

> Glibc is configured --disable-debug by default because enabling the
> debug build requires an additional compilation pass (and hence increases
> the total build time by about 50%).  Practically speaking, most users

That explains a lot.

> Removing support for glibc-dbg altogether seems like it would be a bit
> of a retrograde step since this would make it harder for those folks who
> do want to debug the library to do so.  If the presence of the empty
> binaries is vexing you then the right thing to do is probably to teach
> package.bbclass to inhibit the generation of the debug package if there
> isn't actually any debug data present.

Well, I would not mind. The problem comes with insane.bbclass
causing the build to fail because there is a glibc-dbg package
defined in glibc-package.bbclass but it contains only empty
files.

We'd thus need to make the inclusion of glibc-dbg in ${PACKAGES}
depend on whether we want debug code or not. As a very simplstic
solution we might just add a variable that can be set or unset
in the recipe (or even a distro's config file) which controls
both, the configure options and the inclusion of glibc-dbg in
${PACKAGES}?

Cheers,

Martin

--