[oe] OEDEM: Summary of 'OE and Poky', 'Hosting', 'Bugtracker'

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Tue Nov 10 15:54:39 UTC 2009

Hello.

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 15:38, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 16:14 +0100, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> > > Access control: Having user branches in a dedicated tree means we can
> > > give more users commit access so that they can prepare branches we can
> > > pull. This might lead to (IMHO much appreciated) improvements in the
> > > development model towards a pull model.
> >
> > But why the hassle of administrate an own git repo service for this? I always
> > thought OE was small on admin power.
>
> Note that we're taking about one extra "contrib" repository with user
> branches so the extra admin overhead is minimal. People proposed a repo
> per user but that wasn't felt to be acceptable due to the admin
> concerns.

For both you would have to fetch the ssh key and put it into gitosis. The later
one would also need an initial tree creation. The point I'm making is that on an
external git repo hoster even that work would be gone.

Anyway, I stop here. I was mostly interested in the reasons behing the
decisions not more.

regards
Stefan Schmidt