[oe] OEDEM 2009 summary: Death to checksums.ini?

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:06:33 UTC 2009

>>There was some discussion around alternative proposals of storing the
>> checksums in separate files within the recipes/ directory.

>> The best alternatives so far where:
>>       - Place the checksums into the dir of the recipe
>>       - Use a MD5SUM_${URL} = "", SHA256SUM_${URL} = "" syntax
>
> I would be happy with the latter of those suggestions.  I don't think
> the former really addresses the problems with the current checksums.ini.

Yes, I sponsor the idea of a single Manifest in each dir.

Let apart filetype specifier, example here:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0044-extras/manifest2-example.txt

Having a Manifest listing the filename, the size and some checksums on
a single line seems to me very easy to parse for an automated script
wich could refresh/generate the whole file.

Finally, a question: why do we have full URL in the checksum-file?
I can't see the real advantages in case of checksum mismatch...

My (euro)2 cents

Andrea