[oe] xterm: either fix it, or remove it. please.

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Nov 12 07:34:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> On Thursday 12 November 2009 07:36:32 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   anyway, this is about the fourth time i've explained this,
> > either here or on the angstrom-devel list.  that's the error, and
> > it's entirely reproducible on my f11 system.  at this point, i'm
> > leaving it with the powers that be, and you're free to deal with
> > it or totally ignore it.  whatever suits you.
>
> Robert,
>
> I totally agree that bugs should be fixed. Your attitude is somehow
> weird as you demand others to fix problems you are experiencing.
> Honestly speaking I am a bit disturbed by this attitude.

  at this point, i don't much care.  recently, i've been investing
some time in OE, doing some builds and reporting bugs when i've found
them so, yes, i am *also* part of that community of which you speak.
i even promoted OE for the beagleboard when i gave a talk recently at
ontario linux fest:

  http://onlinux.ca/node/78

  when i first ran across that xterm bug, i reported it.  nothing
happened.  i waited, and mentioned it again.  eventually, philip
balister admitted that he'd reproduced it.  good, i thought, someone
else has seen it so it should be fixed eventually.

  nothing.  so i mentioned it *again*, but only after doing some
research, to the point where i tracked down the *cause* of the bug,
posted a detailed explanation of that cause, and even mentioned that
i'd verified that a proposed fix solved the problem.

  nothing.  at this point, i've quite given up on investing any more
time trying to help out.

> Work on OE is purely community driven, ...

  i'm well aware of that.  i was trying to become a productive
*member* of that community.  at this point, i've pretty much lost
interest.

rday