[oe] xterm: either fix it, or remove it. please.

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 12:47:56 UTC 2009

2009/11/12 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>
>> 2009/11/12 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:
>>
>> > the above is switching on a symbolic mode, and that final line is
>> > using sed to convert the symbolic mode to the corresponding numeric
>> > mode for installation.
>> >
>> >  that worked fine a few years back, but it fails on newer linux
>> > distros for which the long listing might have a trailing period, as
>> > does my fedora 11 system:
>> >
>> > $ ls -l /etc/passwd
>> > -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 2474 2009-11-09 14:59 /etc/passwd
>> >          ^ there
>>
>> Hm. I've never ever heard about this trailing period. Where does it
>> come from/how was it introduced?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_FAQ#Why_does_ls_show_a_dot_.28..29_or_a_plus_.28.2B.29_at_the_end_on_the_file_modes_for_some_files.3F
>
> rday
> --

Robert thanks for the link.
Didn't know that. Apparently one is never too old to learn something new.

So it is not really fedora specific, but it is SELinux specific.
Do we want to support SELinux as build host ?
(the ideal solution of course would be to have our own ls in the cross dir).

Frans.

PS: Personally I think it is a bad idea to change the output format of
a utility that is more than 30 years old and that is so widespread.
(and I did not even see an obvious way to get the old behaviour).