[oe] any ETA on a working dev beagleboard demo image?

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Mon Nov 16 00:00:37 UTC 2009

Dnia niedziela, 15 listopada 2009 o 15:56:36 Robert P. J. Day napisał(a):

>   yes, i know i'm sounding like a broken record, but i have an invite
> to give a short local demo of the beagleboard this tuesday and i'd
> like to do it with an angstrom development demo image, just because i
> prefer to live out there on the edge.

You can always move back to some revision before recent changes happened, you
can use Angstrom narcissus to generate working image.

>   at the moment, there is just the one package standing in the way --
> guile-native -- and as i recall, someone posted what looked like a
> manual fix.  is that being turned into a patch at any point?

Did you tried to make it a patch? Patches are always welcome.

> i realize i'm nagging, but it's literally been *weeks* since that
> particular bitbake target actually built, and every time it looks like
> it's getting close to being buildable, more packages break.

Maybe start tagging your copy of OE to know which version was buildable for
you? It will make life easier to make 'git bisect' to find out what broke it.

> i appreciate that development means exactly that but, at the very
> least, even the development branch should *build*, even if there are
> run issues.

No, it is not 'org.openembedded.always-building' branch. This is development
branch where everything can happen. At OEDEM it was decided that many core
changes will be made and we accepted some breakage during that time. We are
working on making it buildable again but testing takes time.

> p.s.  perhaps it would be useful to start tagging the development
> branch at points where it builds, just so someone can always retreat
> to the most recent known good build.

"where it builds" is not a definition. For me one revision builds for
at91sam9263ek/x11-image target but not for progear/xfce-image for example. Or
build on my Debian system but breaks in Ubuntu 9.04 virtual. There is no such
thing as 'it builds for everyone' and you should know that from your xterm-207
problem which was not a problem for me (as it was building under my Debian and
I do not have a client who would use Fedora for builds).

> or perhaps start a branch named, oh, "bleeding", which, when it builds
> properly, can be merged back into development.  whatever.  but it
> strikes me that it's overwhelmingly pointless to have a development
> branch that doesn't build since that gives no one the opportunity to
> actually test it.

There is a tag on .dev branch which marks moment before OE core changes
landed: "pre-nov2009-core-updates" - maybe checkout that version and just
cherry-pick those updates which are needed to make OE buildable for you?

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinjuszkiewicz