[oe] RFC: Geode machines support changes

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Tue Nov 17 12:37:17 UTC 2009

Hi

Currently .dev tree supports AMD GeodeGX and GeodeLX based machines:

- "geodegx"        - generic config
- "iei-nanogx-466" - IEI Nano GX-466

- "geodelx"        - generic config
- "alix"           - PC Engines Alix 1c/d mainboard
- "xo"             - OLPC XO v1

For "geodegx" we have linux-geodegx-2.4.24 kernel which was added with
machine. Looks like no one use it and we got linux-2.6.31 update some time ago
from Petr Štetiar (who works on "iei-nanogx-466" SBC). Update needs to be
selected in machine config anyway and is not yet building.

For "geodelx" we use linux-geodelx-2.6.11 which also was added with machine.
Other good device with this CPU is "alix" which is now set to linux-2.6.25 as
I did not booted this board for quite long time. OLPC is 3rd device with this
CPU which we support.

GeodeLX processor is i586 class. Has MMX, 3Dnow and few other flags from that
family. We treat it as i486 anyway as someone noted that they are faster that
way.

I would like to do few changes:

1. drop "geodelx" kernel and machine config.
2. rename "alix" to "geodelx" and use Alix defconfig
3. move all target related flags from machine configs to tune-geode.inc
   - TARGET_ARCH
   - glibc tune (GLIBC_ADDONS, GLIBC_EXTRA_OECONF)

Then we can consider changing TARGET_ARCH to i586 for Geode machines.

Opinions? suggestions?

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/