[oe] [RFC] Merging of stable/2009 into dev

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:50:45 UTC 2009

Hello Otavio,

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Hello Phil,
>
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 18:11 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>>> From my POV the best alternative is, before we start changing a lot of
>>> stuff in dev we do a merge of stable/2009 into dev to allow easy
>>> merging from outside "forks" made by users.
>>
>> I don't quite understand what you mean by merging stable/2009 into dev.
>> Isn't it the case that all the changesets in stable/2009 were
>> cherry-picked from .dev in the first place, and hence are already there?
>>
>> Can you give a bit more detail on what exactly you are proposing?
>
> Please try it:
>
> git checkout -b merge-try origin/org.openembedded.dev
> git merge stable/2009
>
> You'll notice how many conflicts it produces.

I also do not understand what you are trying to achieve?

stable/2009 is a fix-only stable branch, whereas .dev is heavily on
the move with both features, fixes, framework changes and other cruft.

The branches are never supposed to be merged, in fact we expect .dev
to move away from stable.

In other words, the branch is a a "fish bone" branch; if you had a
product living on .dev then, you could base it on stable/2009 and be
happy with it.

Regards,
--
Leon