[oe] Which distro for OE development?

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Thu Nov 19 13:22:42 UTC 2009

Dnia czwartek, 19 listopada 2009 o 14:06:43 Hodgson, Simon napisał(a):

> I'm setting up a new machine with Linux specifically to use for
>  OpenEmbedded development. Which Linux distro should I go with?
>
> I'm looking to make it as easy as possible to get started, so ideally all
>  the packages I need will be available from that distro's standard
>  repositry.
>
> I've tried SuSE in the past and given up trying to get all of the required
> tools installed, and more recently been using Debian, but the Python
> version in Debian is a few versions behind and there was talk of OE soon
> requiring a more up to date version.

OpenEmbedded require Python 2.4 or newer. Debian lenny (stable) and squeeze
(testing) should work fine. I use 'sid' for development.

> Ubuntu is a good candidate at the moment as I belive there won't be any
> hardware issues with the laptop I want to use, but this wiki page suggests
> there's some faffing to do
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Gcc_issues_in_Intrepid_and_later
> which I'd like to avoid if possible - does anyone know if these issues are
> present in the latest version 9.10?

I use OpenEmbedded on Ubuntu 8.04 machine and Poky on 8.04/9.04/9.10 without
problems.

So I suggest Debian 'testing' or Ubuntu 9.10/9.04 as a base.

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinjuszkiewicz