[oe] SRCPV migration - How SRCPV works!

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:09:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 03:58:00PM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 23-11-09 14:52, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> >Hello,

> >>Dunno about that, ideally the SRCPV merge should have no impact at all on
> >>existing distros, but it looks like everyone will be forced to lock
> >>revisions/counts down.
> >>If there is a way to convert the database to a .inc file then we'd be a step
> >>closer to coordinating counts between buildhosts (or rebuilds from scratch).
> >>Currently the SRCPV looks like a major step backwards to the current
> >>situation unless you are on a single buildhost *and* never delete TMPDIR
> >>*and* use AUTOREV *and* care about upgrade paths.
> >>
> >>It would be a lot better if bitbake could just do the revlog | wc -l trick
> >>after do_fetch has run. Or at least use that as localcount if a snapshot
> >>exists in TMPDIR during parsing.
> >
> >After looking at what SRCPV means for distro POV I fully agree with Koen.
> >
> >It is going to add more problems then it solves. If a distro has more
> >then one buildhost it will be a nightmare to manage it and very error
> >prone :-(
>
> Even in the single buildhost world things start falling down if you
> rm TMPDIR.
>
> regards,

No if you're using LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE

Yes if you're using AUTOREV without SRCPV.

What about enabling LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE by default.
Nothing change for everybody (only harmless constant '0+' in PV).
If they want to stay with bumping PR, its their choice. I think bumping
LOCALCOUNT with SRCREV change is nicer, because it changes only number
before hash and not both PV and PR, but package maintainer can choose
which he likes better.

And people using AUTOREV will get upgradable versions even when they
switch to sane-srcrev for some package from time to time. And nothings
is worse then before for them, because they cannot rm TMPDIR now as well
as with SRCPV.

regards,
uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr