[oe] SRCPV migration - How SRCPV works!

Chris Conroy Chris.Conroy at hillcrestlabs.com
Mon Nov 23 15:47:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 20:05 +0100, Martin Jansa wrote:
> Problem with this is that it downloads whole git repository (huge load
> on git repository servers) just to count how many revisions are in
> some
> branch before your revision.
>
> That's what it do now (without SRCPV merge) for every recipe you set
> AUTOREV. And this is done during recipe parsing phase (because we need
> to know PV string for every recipe).
>
> We all agreed that upstream server maintainers won't like us this way.

Forgive me since before this thread I have not been following the SRCPV
stuff terribly closely, but this seems to be like a lot of work to solve
a different sort of use case.

If you are a distro that is tracking untagged, unreleased git revisions
from an upstream tree, then do you really care if you have to clone the
tree once per build machine? You're probably already doing this anyways
if you are using a package in this fashion. Doing a full clone on every
single build would obviously be a terrible thing, but as long as this
gets cached it doesn't seem like an awful cost to me.

And, if you have many build users in your distro, then you could easily
fix this by hosting your own mirrored git server.

I'm probably ignorant of the real use case, but just in case I'm not,
there's my two cents.

--Chris