[oe] e-wm-menu problem

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Thu Nov 26 12:09:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 12:50 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 26.11.2009, 09:20 +0100 schrieb Koen Kooi:
> > Lately I've notice a problem when building and installing e-wm: it drags
> > in e-menu-shr. It's due to (improper) usage of RPROVIDES + RCONFLICTS.
> >
> > My proposal is that images should choose which applications.menu they
> > are using (the one from gnome-desktop, e-wm, e-menu-shr-etc) and have
> > e-wm stop RRECOMMENDING it.
>
> I think we should not remove it but rather move this to an RSUGGESTS, so
> that we have at least a small connection left in the package that
> suggests(sic!) that this package is supposed to work best if it has an
> accompanying package that provides the menu config.

That sounds OK, though I don't quite understand what the problem is with
using Recommends: here.  If opkg is installing e-menu-shr due to the
recommendation even though another satisfier is already installed,
that's a bug in opkg and ought really to be fixed there.  It would be a
little bit sad if we had to stop using Recommends altogether just
because opkg gets it wrong sometimes.

p.