[oe] build inconsistency (strip)

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 07:10:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

I bumped on something very odd.
I wanted to look at an issue with proftpd. As the API version had
changed, I had to remove my tmp dir.
I did bitbake proftpd, fixed the error, bumped PR, everything fine.
Then I asked Koen to verify my work and decide whether it could be
added to the angstrom feed.

At that point things became confusing. For Koen the build failed due
to install wanting to strip and indeed there was something in
Make.Rules that eventually resulted in an install -s.

My question/worry: why am I getting different results than Koen gets.
And what can we do to avoid this?

Of course it could also be dependent on my host env (b.t.w. I'm using
opensuse 11.1), but my impression was that things were supposed to be
host independent.

BTW: given some of the patches that are needed, would it perhaps be
better to have an oe/bin (or oe/native/bin or whatever) dir somewhere
with our own copies of things like strip, install, uname etc and have
this dir in front of the path when running bitbake?

Frans.