[oe] Kernel Configuration - what affect the way ethernet port functions

Stuart Gray stuart68 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:30:07 UTC 2009

Hi Cliff,

I have done this using the standard set up, but when I get my IP, netmask,
network, gateway and broadcast addresses.

So my interfaces file simply sets eth0 to be set up to use DHCP.

When I check how it is configured using ifconfig eth0 I get

IP 192.168.0.11
NetMask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1
Broadcast 0.0.0.0

I am expecting broadcast to be 192.168.0.255. If I set broadcast using
ifconfig eth0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 it gets set correctly, but mt ethernet
access does not work.

Only when I configure the eth0 interface using static and set all network
configuration manually within the interfaces file does it work, btu I should
not and do not want to do this for my application I need it to use DHCP.

My thinking after trying various settings was that there may be some
hardware configuration of the LAN91C11 device that I am not aware of. I have
no datasheet for this part.

If there is another area that can set the broadcast to 0.0.0.0 please let me
know or if you know of some other setting that I can try.

Thanks,
Stuart