[oe] [RFC] Version sorting in BitBake

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Oct 9 09:03:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 12:23 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hello Denys,
>
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > PV1 = "2.6.29-${PR}+gitr${SRCREV}"
> > PV2 = "2.6.29+2.6.30-rc5-${PR}+gitr${SRCREV}"
> > PV3 = "2.6.30-${PR}+gitr${SRCREV}"
> >
> > That still works with opkg, as ipkg-compare-versions sorts above PVs as
> > expected - PV1 < PV2 < PV3
> >
> > But BitBake now has this flaw and sorts like this: PV2 < PV1 < PV3
> [...]
>
> Please send the patch for people to review and would be nice to have
> it commited since many of us could have been using non-required
> overrides.
>
> Thanks by founding and _fixing_ it :-D

This worries me quite a bit as it means bitbake's version comparison
function is broken. Is there a python version comparison function
somewhere else we can compare bitbake's with to make sure there aren't
any other glitches we have?

Bitbake's and opkg's version handling is meant to model Debian for
reference.

Cheers,

Richard