[oe] build inconsistency (strip)

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:35:43 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Still the following is strange to me:
> I would expect
> /home/frans/oe/tmp_angstrom/staging/i686-linux/usr/bin/install -s to
> call the target strip (or maybe ignore the strip command).

No, AFAIK install is unaware of the preferred strip executable.

Some target architecture binaries can be stripped with the host strip
command (for example, this seems to work for x86->arm, but NOT
x86->powerpc).

One proposal (from me) was to patch core-utils to use env. var. STRIP
instead of strip.

However, the OpenEmbedded solution is to patch the Makefiles to remove
the "-s" flag from the install targets.
This approach is best as the stripping is then done neatly during
packaging the debug strip-off.

Regards,
--
Leon