[oe] build inconsistency (strip)

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 15:09:23 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Andrea Adami <andrea.adami at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Some target architecture binaries can be stripped with the host strip
>>command (for example, this seems to work for x86->arm, but NOT
>>x86->powerpc).
>
> Don't rely on this: I had recently a recipe (dietlibc)  failing when
> using the host strip (i686) for arm binaries.
>
> This is failing on Gentoo but reported to work on debian/Ubuntu
> (multiarch-strip).

I didn't mean to say we should rely on this; I meant to say that for
some it may work, for some it may not, and thus MUST NOT BE USED.

So to summarize:

- The OpenEmbedded solution is to patch the Makefiles to remove the
"-s" flag from the install targets.
- This approach is best as the stripping is then done neatly during
packaging the debug strip-off.

Regards,
--
Leon