[oe] Bitbake Roadmap

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Sun Oct 18 14:08:29 UTC 2009

I'd like to propose some changes to the bitbake repo and actually get
into the habit of regular releases. The big problem is that we want to
make the client/server split and make a 2.0 release which is "clogging"
up master. I'm not sure the client/server split is felt to be ready for
prime time use yet though (shout if you disagree and want to make the
jump now!).

Assuming we can't switch yet I think we need to:

* Continue to plan bitbake 2.0 to be the client/server/ui split.

* Create a bitbake 1.10 branch. This would be designed to replace the
current 1.8 series. The plan here would be to take everything from trunk
that isn't the split into client and server. The code would be
refactored to match the client/server split layout however, particularly
cooker and adding the command layer. This would most likely require
python 2.6 for simplicity. This should not have the slowdown associated
with the xmlrpc and threads which is particularly noticeable on single
core parsing.

* This paves the way for maintenance releases and further 1.x series
releases making more sense of the version number again.

* Aim to quickly roll 1.10.0 and after a suitable delay require it for
OE

* Create a client/server/ui branch which has the changes that are in
master

* Have master track 1.10 instead.

* Define a release schedule and more automate the release process.

Shout now if you disagree with any of this or have a better plan! :)

Cheers,

Richard