[oe] Updating kernels to latest stable versions

Mike Westerhof mike at mwester.net
Mon Oct 19 18:08:14 UTC 2009

Khem Raj wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Marcin Juszkiewicz
> <marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl> wrote:
>> Some time ago I asked about updating kernels to recent stable patch.
>> There was nearly no discussion on it so this time I am sending mails for
>> review. Did not build checked those patches yet.
>
> You might have to try builds because there could be some backported
> patches already applied which now are in the new minor release. (I
> haven't looked myself if there is such a case.)

There may also be platform-specific patches that won't apply with the
newer kernel updates, a possibility that is more likely with the
pressure to have maintainers use the generic kernel recipes instead of
just creating their own specific recipe.

And no, I haven't yet looked to see this will be a problem for the
ixp4xx kernels; that's not a big concern and I'll fix that myself should
it be necessary.  I merely mention this to point out that we probably
need to move carefully on blanket updates to the kernel if we wish to
encourage use of the generic kernel recipes -- that's all. :)

Regards,
Mike (mwester)