[oe] Question about bluez4 and PROVIDES_append_angstrom

Marco Cavallini koansoftware at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 19:24:07 UTC 2009

Hello,
first of all I must say that I am not a OE expert and I'd like to learn
and understand, so please apologize if my question is too silly for most
of you :-)

I am quite confused about a few lines I found into the following files.
The result of these lines faced me to errors using KaeilOS distro.

This modification looks (to me) related to bluez4 and Angstrom only and
I wonder why some package recipes (bluez4*.bb) contains some lines that
strictly ties them to Angstrom distribution breaking other distributions.

Files I found are the following:
recipes/bluez/bluez4_4.35.bb:PROVIDES_append_angstrom =
 " bluez-utils bluez-libs"
recipes/bluez/bluez4_4.37.bb:PROVIDES_append_angstrom =
 " bluez-utils bluez-libs"
recipes/bluez/bluez4.inc:PROVIDES_append_angstrom =
 " bluez-utils-dbus bluez-utils bluez-libs"

Lines are similar to these:
# For angstrom we want this to replace at least bluez-libs
PROVIDES_append_angstrom = " bluez-utils-dbus bluez-utils bluez-libs"
RPROVIDES_bluez4-dev_angstrom = "bluez-libs-dev"

My question is: why these lines are not into angstrom*.bb distro recipe
making bluez*.bb distro-independent (agnostic)?

Thank you in advance for your hints.

/marco