[oe] Question about bluez4 and PROVIDES_append_angstrom

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Thu Oct 22 20:33:58 UTC 2009

On 22-10-09 21:24, Marco Cavallini wrote:

> This modification looks (to me) related to bluez4 and Angstrom only and
> I wonder why some package recipes (bluez4*.bb) contains some lines that
> strictly ties them to Angstrom distribution breaking other distributions.
>
> Files I found are the following:
> recipes/bluez/bluez4_4.35.bb:PROVIDES_append_angstrom =
>   " bluez-utils bluez-libs"
> recipes/bluez/bluez4_4.37.bb:PROVIDES_append_angstrom =
>   " bluez-utils bluez-libs"
> recipes/bluez/bluez4.inc:PROVIDES_append_angstrom =
>   " bluez-utils-dbus bluez-utils bluez-libs"

It would only 'break' for 'other' distros if they manually enable
'angstrom' as override. If they do so, they do it at their own risk.
Some grepping shows only DISTRO=openmoko does that and I haven't heard
any complaints about bluez from those users.
Also, that override only works if you set a PREFERRED_PROVIDER as well.

Having said that, why do you keep blaming angstrom for kaelios problems?
I keep getting reports (second or third hand info, I admit) about you
badmouthing angstrom on IRC, which seems to be in fashion lately, but I
would prefer people to do badmouthing with *actual* problems instead of
projecting their own. It's not angstroms fault if you missed a few lines
when copy/pasting from it.

Koen