[oe] Revert "package bbclass: strip static libs as well"

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Fri Oct 23 07:23:03 UTC 2009

On 23-10-09 05:04, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> Hey Koen, All,
>
> I would like to revert:
> 	8fec15f70dcd0a8543b0af3ec256bf9cd108281e
> 	98a7d32826bc362c4ee434e7a4def7c852e75281
>
> The reason is that:
> 	This commit has introduced several breakages including
> 	stripping libc_nonshared.a breaking the gcc in the SDK and
>          for the device.
>          It has created build errors in meta-toolchain for binutils, gdb
>          see my illfated patch...
>
> I don't think we need to strip .a files as they will not end on the device

They do actually

> and people will link their binaries to them and we will strip the binaries.

There was a discussion about that and I didn't see people objection, the
only point of contention was where to package the debug symbols. How do
you propropose to solve the problem that the .a files are huge?
Also, you don't mention any problems, you only say "I [..] think", which
usually isn't a good enough reason to revert stuff :)

regards,

Koen