[oe] Revert "package bbclass: strip static libs as well"

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Fri Oct 23 10:03:48 UTC 2009

On 23-10-09 11:54, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> On Friday 23 October 2009 11:46:22 Koen Kooi wrote:
>
>>> and I would prefer to have debug symbols in there. you can always strip
>>> them out of the final binary but you can not add them when they are gone.
>>
>> Installing foo-dbg doesn't work?
>
> It will not. At least from my understanding of an .a archive. You will need to
> get the symbols into the binary when statically linking, this will not happen
> when they are in a .debug/liba.a.

If that's the case, we shouldn't be stripping static libs.

I updated
http://dominion.thruhere.net/git/cgit.cgi/openembedded/log/?h=koen/static-libs-rework

If those changes look OK, I'll start going to recipes with custom
packaging (e.g. qt4) and have them put static libs -static as well.

And I see a DISTRO_PR bump coming for angstrom.

regards,

Koen