[oe] Revert "package bbclass: strip static libs as well"

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Sat Oct 24 19:33:11 UTC 2009

Phil Blundell wrote:
> but it isn't entirely obvious to me why one would (in general)
> want to install such a library.  Do you know what the actual use-case
> for libstdc++_pic is?  If this is for mklibs-style library reduction
> then it probably belongs in yet another subpackage if anywhere.

I guess that it makes possible to create libraries that are written in
C++ but don't depend on libstdc++. It also contains PIC code of
libsupc++.

Reference: /OE/build/static/tmp/work/armv5te-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/gcc-4.3.3-r7.1/gcc-4.3.3/libstdc++-v3/src/Makefile.am

_pic.a libraries are typically useful for large convoluted libraries
containing many independent function sets, e. g. mathematical libraries.