[oe] about staging

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Sat Oct 31 07:39:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 06:32:05PM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> 2009/10/30 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>:
> > On 30-10-09 08:40, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Yesterday I ended up in a discussion on staging in #oe (ok, ok, I
> >> mainly caused the discussion :-) )
> >> Also based upon that I looked at various recipes on how people
> >> implement staging.
> >>
> >> There does not seem to be really standard way.
> >> Some recipes copy from ${S} which ihmo is not desirable; i think it
> >> should be a file that is exported by the application).
> >> Others use other mechanisms.
> >>
> >> For my own recipe I ended up with something like:
> >>
> >> do_stage() {
> >>         install -d ${STAGING_INCDIR}
> >>         install -d ${STAGING_INCDIR}/${PN}
> >>         install -m 0644 ${D}/${includedir}/${PN}/*.h
> >> ${STAGING_INCDIR}/${PN}
> >> }
> >>
> >> as that seems the best. ${D} contans the exported/installed files from
> >> the application. Those files are the ones the application wants to
> >> make externally available and those should end up in staging. Not
> >> something from ${S}.
> >
> > Is ${D} garanteed to be present at staging time? I don't think we have a
> > current hard rule for that.
>
> ${D} = install subdir, so in my case it is definitely there.
> but it might be absent in the generic case (e.g. in case of an empty package)
> A solution which automates everything should take that into account
> (if ${D} does not exist: no action))
>
> Btw: as a starter I would already be happy with some scripting that
> allows easy copying from ${D} to staging
>
> (and I hope you agree with me that copying from ${S} to staging should be a no)

Hmm, I guess I missed the discussion on irc, but I don't think the above
statement is correct. For example, -native packages do have do_stage and
ususally don't have do_install. Also, staging some files w/o installing them
on the "target" (either the main or -dev package) may be desireable in some
cases...

--
Denys