[oe] TI DSP updates

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Thu Sep 3 10:24:25 UTC 2009

> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:00:37 +0200
> From: Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>

> On 03-09-09 04:17, Howard Chu wrote:
>> > These are the changes I made to use the latest Codec engine, DSP
>> > modules, etc. for OMAP3530 to build. Tested and working with
>> > gstreamer-ti on an Always Innovating Touch Book with linux-omap_2.6.29
>> > kernel / Angstrom...
> Thank you for your work on this! Your work does seem to be based on an
> outdated OE checkout, could you try to rebase it on the current
> org.openembedded.dev branch?

Ah, I thought I had rebased with HEAD just before I posted. But sure, I'll try
updating again.

>> > To get a working codec server on the Touch Book, which has 256MB of RAM,
>> > I had to modify the default server config:
> To move the memorymap more stuff has to get changed, but there's an
> easier way that also works with 512MiB and 1024MiB RAM:
>
> put 'mem=80M at 0x80000000 mem=128M at 0x88000000' in your bootargs and make
> sure your kernel has the arch-has-holes.diff applied to make that
> memoryhole work.

Interesting. I guess that's more future-proof but currently no OMAP3530 can
have more than 256MB of RAM... Also, not sure what else you're referring to
that needs to be changed. The dsplink driver doesn't care. The codec server
only needs to know where the end of memory is, and it arranges the rest of the
map itself. It chose to use only 29M of memory, and I can't complain about
that, better than eating up 40M. Here's the datasheet it generated for this
codec server:

http://highlandsun.com/hyc/cs.x64P.DataSheet.html

The gstreamer ticodecplugin just needs to be pointed at that server.tcf file
to use the same config. If I'm missing the point you're making, please explain
again, thanks.

If I had known about that memory hole trick I would probably not have bothered
rebuilding any of this, could've just downloaded a new codec combo and run
with it. Live and learn...
--
   -- Howard Chu