[oe] slight different confirurations for a package

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Thu Sep 17 03:46:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:25:17AM -0700, C Michael Sundius wrote:
> I'd like to be able to build several different configurations of the same
> package and I'm wondering if the community might have some good input on the
> best way to organize this. My project has several images that are built for
> various products and customers and hardware. Generally all of the software
> is the same save a few key packages. (really even the kernel is constant
> across all platforms). and right now I have a different disto.conf file that
> corresponds to an image recipe for each platform.
>
> I want to be able to build all of the platforms together within the same out
> dir. (so I don't have to rebuild the bulk of the software wasting disk space
> and time).
>
> I've thought about defining separate recipes:
>      (foo-config1.bb, foo-config2.bb)

Quick and dirty: If you use the same distro, but have separate recipes
(foo-config1.bb and foo-config2.bb), you can place them under separate
tasks/images (image1.bb and image2.bb) and build both images. All the
packages, except foo-* and image1/2 will be shared and built only once, so no
wasting of disk space and time.